Tuesday 15 September 2015

The Orphan Queen

****
4 Stars/5


When Princess Wilhelmina was a child, her kingdom Aecor was conquered by their neighbour, Indigo, but she and the other orphaned nobles were able to escape. Ten years later they have become a group called the Ospreys who are experts in stealth and theft, and their plan is for Wil to take her kingdom back. To do this Wil and her best friend Melanie must infiltrate Skyvale Palace where they have to fit in with the people who killed their parents and captured their home. But Wil is a magic user which is forbidden because it causes  Wraith, a toxic by-product, which is drawing closer to Indigo, and Wil is wary that her magic may lead to her getting caught especially by the vigilante Black Knife. However, will Wil’s magic be the key to stopping the Wraith?  With the leader of the Ospreys, Patrick, acting suspiciously, Wil is struggling to know who to trust?

The Orphan Queen is a really good fantasy novel, which has action, suspense, romance and good world building. This book had nothing new to it and it was predictable but I still really enjoyed it especially once I got past the first third.

I liked Wil as she was willing to do whatever it was to help her friends and kingdom, but also knew what lines to cross and which ones not to. However, she was a bit of a pushover, especially at the beginning. I really liked Black Knife as he was mysterious and charming, wants to help people and do what is right but I did know who he was from the beginning. However, I would have liked to get to know the Ospreys better as us, the readers, only really knew Melanie and Patrick.


I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading what happens next with Wil in The Mirror King. I would recommend The Orphan Queen to fans of Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed this book, I loved it as well! Hopefully in the sequel we'll see more from the Ospreys and Black Knife ;) great review

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/announcement-etsy-shop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really liked this book and am looking forward to reading the next book :)

      Delete
  2. So happy you enjoyed it! I loved this book, and the characters, and I can't wait for the next book! Awesome review :)
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I am really looking forward to it to, as the sequel is available to request on Edelweiss at the moment, I am keeping my fingers crossed

      Delete