Wednesday 9 September 2015

Aflame

****
4 Stars/5


Thanks to Netgalley and Matador for giving me this book to review.

Zara is the princess of Garimu and is one of the strongest wielders of elements in her kingdom. Johar is the prince and heir of Birin who wants to do want is best for his kingdom. Their destinies change forever when Zara’s father has a foretelling that a great evil has arisen and the only hope to stop it is for a wielder and non-wielder to be connected together by marriage. Can Zara and Johar get past their differences in order to save their people?

Aflame is a very enjoyable YA fantasy novel with romance and action but it was a bit slow. The POV is from both of the main characters which I enjoyed as it makes it easier to get to know them both. However, it was not the best written/edited as three of Johar chapters in a row started with nearly the same sentence.

I really did not like Zara at the start of the book as she was spoilt and vain but I think she did improve as the story went on. However, I did like Johar as he would make a really good king because he always put his people before himself and tries to plan for all possibilities. While this book did have an insta-attraction which I don’t mind, the romance was too quick as after only knowing each other for a week they were declaring their undying love for each other.


This series has great potential and I look forward to reading the next book. I would recommend Aflame to people who liked Cage of Deceit by Jennifer Anne Davies and books by Victoria Hanley

3 comments:

  1. I see a pretty cover ahah, it sounds interesting as well :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/arc-review-ice-like-fire-snow-like.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was a good find on Nergalley

    ReplyDelete