Thursday 24 September 2015

A Thousand Nights

*
1 Star/5


Thanks to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for giving me this book to review.

Lo-Melkhiin has killed 300 new brides and is now looking for a new wife, and the heroine knows that he will take her beautiful sister, therefore she makes the ultimate sacrifice and goes with him. However, strange magic seems to flow between her and Lo-Melkhiin and after she survives the first night she discovers a magic develop in her. With her surviving longer than the other wives, can her new powers save her kingdom from a terrible monster in time?

I could not get into A Thousand Nights as I found the story rather slow. Another reason why I could not connect with this book was because I do not know much about the story this novel is based on, Arabian Nights, so if I knew it better I could have enjoyed it more.

However, my big problem with this book is that I only knew the name of about 3 people. Everyone else is called her sister, father, sister’s mother etc. This is also true of the main character as I got almost halfway the book and I still did not know her name which made it really hard to connect to her but she was selfless and brave. We do know Lo-Melkhiin name but we hardly know much else about him, as apart a few flash backs, we hardly see him.


I really could not get into A Thousand Nights and had to DNF at 48%.

4 comments:

  1. Such a shame you couldn't connect with this book :L I've heard some great things but with a slow start I might hold off reading it until the holidays when I'll have more time to dedicate to getting through the beginning. Great review though!

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/review-summer-marked-winter-people-2-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the beginning was very slow, and I people either could get into it or not.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I was so looking forward to this :( Sorry you didn't like it, Kirsty! Hopefully your next read is more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen that either people love or hate it, so you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete